As we’re nearing the end of the revision and exam period we wanted to let you know that we’ll be on leave from the 19th of December and will return to work on the 4th of January 2021. If you need to reach us during that time you can email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will reply in the New Year.
The Law Library building will remain open until 5pm on the 21st December, and will then close until the 5th January. If you need to use library facilities during the closed period you will find the Main Library in George Square will be open throughout, except for 24-26 December and 1-2 January. More information on opening hours for all libraries can be found here.
We hope you have a very merry festive break and we look forward to seeing you (either in-person or online) in the New Year!
Festive Law Librarians: SarahLouise (l) and Donna (r)
It’s that time of year where everyone is focused on exams and assignment deadlines. In 2020 of course there’s the added pressure of taking a different kind of test and worrying about getting home safely. It is an extremely stressful time.
If you’re struggling to find your studying groove you may find the links in our Exam and Revision subject guide helpful. You will find information about library services and how to access resources online, but there’s also a wellbeing section with ideas on how to take care of yourself.
The Law subject guide has loads of information including links and instructions on how to use many of the subject specific resources we have available.
And of course we’ve been putting videos up on the Law Librarian Media Hopper channel all semester, so if you’ve forgotten how to use Westlaw or need a refresher on referencing take a look.
Here are our top five tips for revision and successful study:
- Drink plenty of water. It sounds obvious, but the better hydrated you are, the better your brain functions.
- Take breaks. Make sure you get up from your desk and stretch and move around a bit, ideally for a few minutes every hour. Get outside if you can, or open a window. Even when you’re studying on-campus in a library it’s possible to leave your workspace for a short period to take a walk around.
- Organise your notes. It’s a well known fact that librarians love stationery! We’re big fans of colourful highlighters, sticky notes and fancy pens. Even if that doesn’t make organisation fun for you it’s a good idea to keep notes from the same subject together and easily accessible when you’re working on assignments. It’s amazing how much time can be wasted looking for that one scrap of paper that had an important case citation on it.
- Give yourself plenty of time. Inevitably if you’re still working on the day your work is due your references will disappear, you’ll miss the bus, your internet will conk out and the printer will jam. Try to anticipate the issues by planning for the worst-case scenario – sometimes this means tricking yourself into pretending the due date is a day or two before the real deadline.
- Work hard, play hard. When you’re finished studying for the day do something completely different with your free time. Switching off from revision and doing something active, creative or social will help you unwind which will give your brain a rest and will allow you to come back to the task fresh.
We hope some of this information has been useful to you, and wish you the best of luck with your upcoming exams, assignments and submissions. If you have any questions about library resources please do let us know on email@example.com.
You may remember that as part of your introduction to library services the Law Library team presented information on how to find legal resources using our databases. We’ve created a short online quiz for you to test your knowledge and identify areas you may need more practice on.
The questions have been chosen with particular reference to the material used on the Scottish Legal Studies undergraduate course, however we think it’d be a useful resource to practice your skills at all levels.
The quiz can be accessed using the link below and will be live until the 11th December.
Finding Legal Resources Quiz
Please note the quiz is not compulsory. If you have any questions or comments please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.