(1) HEFCE has introduced the requirement that outputs submitted to the next REF be made available in an open-access form.
(2) To be eligible, authors’ final peer reviewed manuscripts must have been deposited in an institutional repository or subject repository. Deposited material should be discoverable, and free to read and download, for anyone with an internet connection.
(3) The output must have been deposited as soon after acceptance as possible but no later than three (3) months after this date (as given in the acceptance letter or e-mail from the publication to the author).
(4) Where a publication specifies an embargo period, authors can comply with the policy by making a ‘closed’ deposit on acceptance.
(5) The policy applies to research outputs accepted for publication after 1 April 2016, but HEFCE would strongly urge institutions to implement it now.
(6) The requirement applies only to journal articles and conference proceedings with only an International Standard Serial Number (ISSN).
(7) Non-compliant outputs will not be assessed in the REF.