Today New College welcomes ministers and worship leaders to a CPD day focusing on Biblical resources. Topics include current scholarship on the Gospel of John and Advent themes in the Hebrew Bible.
At New College Library, we welcome people working in the church to use our outstanding theological collections for research and continuing professional development.
Who can use New College Library?
- Graduates of the University of Edinburgh are entitled to free reference and borrowing access, with some access to digital collections
- Ministers and retired Ministers of the Church of Scotland and Free Church of Scotland are entitled to free reference and borrowing access, on production of evidence of church status. This arrangement reflects the University of Edinburgh’s historic partnership with the Church of Scotland, which in large part has formed the collections at New College Library
- Everyone else is entitled to free reference access, and borrowing access at a charge.
You will need to bring photographic ID and proof of address to join the Library. Your library card will enable access to not only New College Library but all of the libraries in the University of Edinburgh Library.
New College Library’s Resources include:
- Biblical commentaries and Bibles. Reference works at Ref BS in the Library Hall, and further volumes downstairs at BS in Stack I.
- Church reports, handbooks and magazines. We collect most comprehensively for the Church of Scotland but hold historic materials for the Free Church, and current material for other denominations.
- Rare books and Special Collections, principally from the historic collections of the Church of Scotland. Strengths include early Bibles, pamphlets, hymns and psalms, and archive collections (e.g. Thomas Chalmers)
The starting point for searching New College Library’s collections is DiscoverEd (online library catalogue), at http://discovered.ed.ac.uk/
You can find out more about using New College Library at http://www.ed.ac.uk/is/new-college-library.
Christine Love-Rodgers, Academic Support Librarian – Divinity