The latest release of DiscoverEd includes some very useful new features and functionality. Read on for full details…
1. New Filter for Special Collections Material
A new “Special Collections” filter has been added to the Show Only filters section. Selecting this filter allows you to limit the results of your search to material held at the Centre for Resource Collections (CRC) and other special collections in the Main Library, the Library Annexe (our off-campus storage facility), New College Library, Moray House Library and ECA Library.
2. Exclude/Include Multiple Filters
It is now possible to select multiple filters to include or exclude items from your search results:
To include a filter, hover on the filter name and click on the tick box which appears to the left.
To exclude a filter, hover over the filter name and click on the Exclude This.. icon which appears to the right.
You can exclude or include as many filters as you wish. When you are finished making your selections, click on the APPLY FILTERS button to apply your selected filters to your search results.
3. Sticky Filters
It is now possible to apply a set of filters to a search and make them “sticky” for the remainder of your DiscoverEd session. For example, you may wish to make the “Full Text Online” Show Only filter and the “Books” Resource Type filter sticky. This would result in subsequent searches being limited to electronic books.
To make filters sticky:
- Run an initial search in DiscoverEd and apply the filter(s) you wish.
- In the “Active filters” section, hover over the name of a filter you wish to make sticky. A small opened padlock icon will appear. Click on this icon and it will change to a closed padlock icon. Repeat this process for each of the filters you want to make sticky.
If you want to remove sticky filters at any stage in your session, simply repeat the above process, this time changing the closed padlock icon back to the open padlock icon.
4. Sort items in My Favourites
It is now possible to sort the items you have stored in My Favourites by Date Added, Title and Author.
To use this functionality, simply go to your My Favourites and use the Sort by dropdown menu to apply the sort order you require.
5. Support for RSS Feeds
DiscoverEd now allows you to harvest the results of a saved search in your chosen RSS reader application.
- Make sure you are signed in to DiscoverEd.
- Run a search and click on Save this search to My Favourites.
- Go to My Favourites and select the SAVED SEARCHES tab.
- Click on the RSS icon on the right hand side of the display.
- Follow your usual procedure for setting up an RSS feed in your browser or dedicated RSS reader application.
You can also create an RSS feed for any of the searches you have already saved in My Favourites by following steps 3-5 above.