A big welcome to all our new students arriving today. New College Library holds over 250,000 volumes, including rich and unique Special Collections, making it one of the leading theological libraries in Britain. In addition to the books there are online collections – electronic journals, electronic books and databases which the University subscribes to support your studies and research. As the Academic Support Librarian, my role is to help students get the most out of using the Library. Freshers Week is a good opportunity to take a little time to get to know the Library – do this now and you’ll be paid back later on in your studies.
Here’s my top tips for arriving students to get to know New College Library:
1. Come to the Library
- Bring your University card to get into New College Library
- From next week the Library is open 9am-6pm-10 Mon-Thurs, 9am-5pm Fridays, 12noon – 5pm on Saturdays. Remember that you can also use the Main Library which is open longer at weekends.
2. Take a tour
- I’m running Library Tours on Wednesday 11th for postgraduate students and on 17, 22 and 24 September at 1.15pm for undergraduates – and anyone else who would like a tour.
- You should have received a New College Library Guide leaflet in your welcome pack – it’s also available online.
- Or have a look at the Virtual Tour
3. Check out what’s online
- The online catalogue is your key to finding what’s in the Library
- Explore specialist resources for Divinity in the Divinity Subject Guide
- If you can’t find what you’re looking for you can Request @ Book
And don’t be afraid to ask us for help !
Christine Love-Rodgers – Academic Support Librarian, Divinity