New College Library holds over 250,000 volumes, including rich and valuable Special Collections, making it one of the leading theological libraries in Britain. In addition to the books there are online collections – electronic journals, electronic books and databases which the University subscribes to support your studies and research. As the New College Librarian, my role is to help students get the most out of using the Library. Freshers Week is a good opportunity to take a little time to get to know the Library – do this now and you’ll be paid back later on in your studies.
Here’s my top tips for Postgraduate Freshers to get to know New College Library:
1. Come to the Library
- Bring your University card to get into New College Library
- From next week the Library is open 9am-6pm-10 Mon-Thurs, 9am-5pm Fridays, 12noon – 5pm on Saturdays. Remember that you can also use the Main Library which is open longer at weekends
2. Take a tour
- I’m running Postgraduate Library Tours today 10.45-12 noon
- You should have received a New College Library Guide leaflet in your welcome pack – it’s also available online.
- Or have a look at the Virtual Tour
3. Check out what’s online
- The online catalogue is your key to finding what’s in the Library
- Explore specialist resources for Divinity in the Divinity Subject Guide
- If you can’t find what you’re looking for you can Request @ Book
And don’t be afraid to ask us for help !