Outside the David Hume Tower
A major Estates project means that we must move the New College Library collections and services.
What this means for you
• New College Library (NCL) closed at 5.00 pm on Friday 20st December 2019. It will re-open at David Hume Tower (DHT) in George Square on 13th January 2020, providing access to General Collections.
• Archive material and some Special Collections (selected in consultation with the School of Divinity) will be available at the Centre for Research Collections at the Main Library in George Square. Remaining Special Collections will be unavailable until the Library returns to New College in Summer 2021.
• The School of Divinity are planning to make the NCL Reserve Collection available in the Semple’s Close Wing of New College from 13th January 2020.
• New College Library General Collections includes books on course reading lists as well as journals, which are currently on open access.
• General Collections will be fully available at New College Library at DHT by the end of January.
• All current New College Library services will be available and there will be no changes to current opening hours.
• Students will have access to equivalent study space at DHT, as well as access to study space in the Rainy Hall.
Any questions or concerns about New College Library services at DHT should be directed to Karen Bonthron, Help Services Lead for New College Library, Karen.Bonthron@ed.ac.uk
• New College Library Special Collections include archives, manuscripts, historic printed books and objects, which are all kept in closed access areas.
• New College Library Special Collections transferred to the Centre for Research Collections (CRC) will benefit from CRC services including enquiry support, copying and digitisation. Teaching rooms and curatorial support are available at the CRC to support seminars and lectures using New College Library Special Collections.
• New College Special Collections which are not available at the CRC will be moved into storage off site. They will not be accessible until the library collections return to New College Library in summer 2021.
For more information about the Centre for Research Collections see http://www.ed.ac.uk/is/crc
• 20 December 2019 – New College Library closes for renovation at 5pm
• 13 January 2020 – Temporary New College Library opens in David Hume Tower
• 13 January 2020 – NCL Reserve Collection available in the Semple’s Close Wing of New College [to be confirmed]
• January–April 2020- Archives and selected Special Collections move to the Centre for Research Collections
• Summer 2021 – New College Library reopens