Fifty Years, Fifty Books

Posted on March 19, 2014 | in CRC, events, Exhibitions, Featured, Library, Library, Library & University Collections, Uncategorized | by

Opening: 28 March 2014 | Where: Exhibition Gallery, Main Library, George Square | Closing: 14 June 2014 | Curated by: Dr. Joseph Marshall, University of Edinburgh

1962 to 2012 – Fifty Years and Fifty Books: An Exhibition

50 years banner logo-narrow

The Centre for Research Collections is delighted to announce the launch of Fifty Years, Fifty Books exhibition at the University of Edinburgh Main Library, opening on 28 March 2014 and closing 14 June 2014.

In 1962 the Friends of Edinburgh University Library held their first meeting.  They agreed to work to support “the purchase of rare or valuable books, manuscripts or documents” and “to enhance the resources and reputation of the library”.  Fifty years later, we want to recognise the great contribution made by the Friends by hosting an exhibition of their purchases for the University.  Thanks to their consistent support, our Special Collections are now among the world’s foremost for research, teaching and scholarship.

Many of the items in the exhibition have never been seen on public display before.  The Exhibition Gallery – opened in 2009 – was itself supported by the generosity of the Friends. This fantastic space will contain a fine selection of material purchased with the help of the Friends, including early editions of English drama and modern Scottish literary papers, a beautifully illustrated ‘Birds of the Pacific Slope’ and facsimiles of medieval manuscripts. Please see a small number of images of items on display, below.

‘Fifty Years, fifty books: purchases by the Friends of Edinburgh University Library, 1962-2012’, is an exhibition showcasing the extraordinary contribution made by the Friends of Edinburgh University since the early 1960s.

The exhibition is open Monday to Saturday, 10:00 to 17:00. Free Admission, Members of the Public Welcome. The Exhibition Gallery is located within the University of Edinburgh Main Library building.

For more information on the Friends of Edinburgh University Library, including how to join as a member, please see their about page.

The exhibition runs from 28 March to 14 June 2014.

0055932d Holinshed's Chronicles 0055953d

Above:
1. Murchison, Sir R. I., Annotated geological map of North-West Scotland (1861)
2. Holinshed, Raphael, Chronicles, volumes 1 & 2 (1587)
3. Weidmann, F C, Der Costum-Ball am Schlusse des Carnevals (1826)

____________________________________________

Blog post author: Steven Skeldon, Museums

Comments are closed.

Follow @EdUniLibraries on Twitter

Collections

Default utility Image An insight into Joseph Joachim’s life and work – Sarah and Devon’s experiences as CRC interns Earlier this year, our two interns Sarah and Devon spent a few months re-housing and...
Default utility Image Riddle’s Court, a Discovery With our this project currently in progress, our eyes and ears are particularly attuned to...

Projects

Default utility Image An insight into Joseph Joachim’s life and work – Sarah and Devon’s experiences as CRC interns Earlier this year, our two interns Sarah and Devon spent a few months re-housing and...
Default utility Image Conservation Volunteers in the Collections Rationalisation Project This week our Project Conservator, Helen, talks about the great work volunteers have done as...

Archives

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.